THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICKS:
People Inside Electronics – Trees and Branches. Beyond Baroque, Venice, CA. September 22, 2012, 9:00 p.m..
* * *
From PIE’s website: In the month of John Cage’s 100th birthday, “Trees and Branches” explores the legacy of Cage through the music of Californian iconoclast composer Arthur Jarvinen and performances by TempWerks, an ensemble originally created by Jarvinen to play his latest electroacoustic works.
Consisting of four LA-based composer-performers — Casey Anderson, Scott Cazan, Isaac Schankler, and Andrew Tholl — TempWerks deploys lofi, homemade, obsolete, and “non-musical” electronics like Geiger counters, strobe lights, radios, and telegraph keys alongside current digital technology, as well as acoustic instruments includingviolin, saxophone, and accordion.
The concert also features new pieces by TempWerks members, a new arrangement of Cage’s rarely performedImaginary Landscape No. 1, and Cage’s gorgeous In a Landscape performed by pianist Rafael Liebich.
* * *
Nat Evans – Hungry Ghosts. 100 Acres Sculpture Park, Indianapolis, IN. September 20, 2012.
* * *
This month Nat Evans loads up on outdoor performances in Seattle and Indianapolis. This week hear his Hungry Ghosts (hear excerpts here) in Indianapolis and another special performance of Blue Hour (listen here). Evans has cultivated a unique way of experiencing environments and music; these shows are not to be missed!
* * *
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 9/17/2012-9/23/2012:
- Nat Evans – Hungry Ghosts. 100 Acres Sculpture Park, Indianapolis, IN. September 20, 2012.
- People Inside Electronics – Trees and Branches. Beyond Baroque, Venice, CA. September 22, 2012, 9:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman/Kate Moroney – Einstein on the Beach. Opera House, Brooklyn, NY. September 10-24, 2012.
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – with Ensemble Dal Niente. Chihuahua, Mexico. September 24-26, 2012.
- John Teske – Broken Bow Ensemble performs new works for chamber orchestra. The Chapel Performance Space, Seattle, WA. September 29, 2012. 8:00 p.m..
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – I Vapor Breath, Solo album release. October 2012.
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Special performance with Paul Taylor Dance Company. Meany Hall, Seattle, WA. October 4-6, 2012.
- John Teske – Composer Spotlight. Jack Straw Productions, Seattle, WA. October 10, 2012.
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Bowling Green New Music Festival. Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH. October 17-20, 2012.
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Fall Tour. Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha. October 21-26, 2012.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – Sibelius Dreams (Concert Prelude). New Haven Symphony, New Haven, CT. October 25, 2012, 6:30-7:00.
- Scott Gendel – with Jamie-Rose Guarrine in recital. University of Wisconsin School of Music, Madison, WI. October 25, 2012, 7:30 p.m..
- Hotel Elephant – Dia de los Muertos. DiMenna Center for Classical Music, New York, NY. November 1, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – John Cage Festival. The Chapel, Seattle. November 9, 2012, 7:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman – Premiere of a new works by Sarah Gibson and Amy Beth Kirsten. USC, Los Angeles, CA. November 16-18, 2012.
- John Teske – New Works for Choir. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. November 17, 2012.
- Jerry Hui – Eliza’s toyes. The Chazen Art Museum, Madison, WI. November 25, 2012, 12:30 p.m..
- Ryan Keebaugh – Frequency: New Music in the Valley. Shenandoah Valley, VA. Summer 2013.