THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICK:
ONN/OF Festival. The Old BMW Dealership, Seattle, WA. January 26-27, 2013.
This weekend in Seattle the folk at Onn/Of bring to you their third festival of light and art. This year’s festival moves to Capitol Hill and the Old BMW dealership, which should provide a fascinating space in which . The weekend will be chock-full of fantastic Seattle creatives: visual and media artists, craft workshops, performers, and installation artists. TBIE friends Nat Evans and John Teske have collaborated on a project called the Space Weather Listening Booth, which you absolutely shouldn’t miss. They have put together sounds drawn from the phenomena that combine to create the aurora borealis. According to Evans and Teske, “The final product will be a 60-minute work, at times including private one-minute performances by live musicians.” Here is a fantastic sample, which, though it is only 90 seconds, promises and astonishing aural experience for the hour.
The festival creators say…
ONN/OF was born from 2011’s isolation-inducing, La Niña-drenched winter weather. Now, instead of hiding away on what has been scientifically proven to be the worst, most depressing days of the year, Susan and Sierra invite you to engage with a weekend of visual art, performance, installation, projection, music, food and drink, and workshops that in some way use “light”.
Definitely go and look, participate, and GO LISTEN!
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 1/21/2013-1/27/2013 – Seattle:
- Nat Evans/John Teske – Sound Installation at ONN/OF Festival. The Sweater Factory, Seattle, WA. January 26-27, 2013.
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 21/1/2013-27/1/2013 – London:
- Amy Beth Kirsten – Two Monologues. The Red Hedgehog, London UK. January 26, 2013, 7:00 p.m..
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 1/21/2013-1/27/2013 – Elsewhere:
- Lauren Husting – BrassChix Annual Forum. University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN. January 27, 2013.
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – Dal Niente presents Voices. Music Institute of Chicago, Evanston, IL. January 31, 2013.
- Seattle Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra – Chamber Music. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. February 2, 2013, 2:00 p.m..
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – I Vapor Breath CD release party. The Mastercroft Building, Omaha, NE. February 6, 2013, 7:00 p.m..
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Delirious Serialists!. Poncho Hall, Seattle, WA. February 8, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Leah Maria Villareal – Hotel Elefant: Experiments in Opera. Issue Project Room, Brooklyn, NY. February 9, 2013
- Kate Maroney – Liebeslieder Waltzer. Sprague Hall, New Haven, CT. February 9, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Derlious Serialists: Music by Maderna, Nono, and Boulez. Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, WA. February 9, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – Deer Hoof and Dal Niente at the Ecstatic Music Festival. Merkin Concert Hall, New York, NY. February 20, 2012, 7:30 p.m..
- Leah Kardos – New work premiered by Kelly Lovelady and Ruthless Jabiru. London, UK. March 2013.
- Nat Evans/Evan Smith – Solo Recital and Two Old Ghosts World Premiere. Aasen-Hull Hall, Eugene, OR. March 2, 2013.
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Guest Artist at Cadre’s Annual Concert. Columbia College, Chicago, IL. March 8, 2013.
- People Inside Electronics – Electric Virtuosity. Monk Space, Los Angeles, CA. March 9, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman/Kate Maroney – Einstein on the Beach. Hong Kong Cultural Center, Hong Kong. March 8-10, 2013.
- Parnassus Project – Music at Covington Library. Covington Library Covington, WA. March 24, 2013, 2:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman – Violations by Hannah Lash. Yale University, New Haven, CT. March 28, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Byron Au Young – Stuck Elevator World Premiere. American Conservatory Theater, San Francisco, CA. April 4-18, 2013.
- Evan Smith – The Box Is Empty Solo Recital. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. April 12, 2013, 7:30 p.m..
- Amy Beth Kirsten – The Gift World Premiere. Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Pittsburgh, PA. April 16, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Kate Maroney – St. John Passion. Concordia College, NY. April 21, 2013, 4:00 p.m..
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Workshop with Dal Niente and Robert Honstein. High Concept Labs, Chicago, IL. May 10-11, 2013.
- Kate Maroney – Quagmires and the Known Knowns World Premiere. Galapagos Art Space, Brooklyn, NY. May 21, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – Dal Niente presents Jesse Langen, guitar. Unfamiliar Music Series, Chicago, IL. May 22, 2013.
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Music in Space. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. June 1, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Parnassus Project – Music at Everett Public Library. Everett Public Library, Everett, WA. June 2, 2013, 2:00 p.m..
- Marc Yeats – Pathos World Premiere. Lumin, London, UK. June 8, 2013.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – Kiss to the Earth World Premiere. Missouri Chamber Music Festival, St. Louis, MO. June 17, 2013.
- Kate Maroney – All Night Vigil. New Haven Festival Arts and Ideas, New Haven CT. June 21, 2013.
- Byron Au Young – Party Pieces with Cage 100. Leipzig and New York. July 2013.
- Ryan Keebaugh – Frequency: New Music in the Valley. Shenandoah Valley, VA. Summer 2013.
- John Teske – Broken Bow Ensemble. Rainer Valley Cultural Center, Seattle, WA. September 21, 2013.
- John Teske – Broken Bow Ensemble. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. September 28, 2013.