THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICK:
Hotel Elefant – Concert II of Season I, Remembrance. Rescheduled from 2012 due to weather. The DiMenna Center for Classical Music, New York, NY. January 12, 2013 8:00 p.m..
The bold and exuberant chamber ensemble Hotel Elefant continues their debut season “Remembrance” with a concert that was to be given on the Day of the Dead but for the havoc wreaked by Hurricane Sandy. The group has rescheduled, and the concert will now be performed January, 12, 2013. The program, which features of Michael Gordon’s The Sad Park, delves into the remembrance theme. Gordon’s work was composed for the Kronos Quartet in memory of September 11th, and is a haunting tribute. It’s use of pre-recorded children’s voices offer a poignant glimpse into loss and memory.
Programmed alongside The Sad Park is Drawings for Meyoko by Angélica Negrón…
* * *
Ensemble bassist Michelle Lou will have her paralipomena (from the Greek “things omitted from a text”) performed as well.
* * *
Hotel Elefant’s writes about their Remembrance season…
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT THIS GROUP & OUR 1st SEASON: We love the sounds of our time, and we believe this music can be better appreciated when its purpose is understood. Exploring the theme of “Remembrance” in our 2012 season, we’re digging into music that tackles this subject head-on. Not only will we be performing this music for you, but our moderator James Holt will also go behind-the-scenes to speak with our resident musicians and featured composers to open up a conversation between artists and audiences.
This should be a beautiful and unique exploration from a new and energetic ensemble. Don’t miss your second chance to hear this show. GO LISTEN!
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 10/29/2012-11/4/2012 – Seattle:
- Nat Evans – I Am a Rock World Premiere with Seattle Rock Orchestra. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. January 12, 2013, 7:30 p.m..
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 10/29/2012-11/4/2012 – UK:
- Marc Yeats – Black Bile World Premiere by Thumb Ensemble. Birmingham Conservetoire, Birmingham, UK. January 8, 2013, 7:30 p.m..
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 10/29/2012-11/4/2012 – Elsewhere:
- Byron Au Young – Occupy Orchestra. Garfield Park Conservatory, Chicago, IL. January 8-9 2013.
- Lindsay Kesselman/Kate Maroney – Einstein on the Beach. The Amsterdam Music Theater, Amseterdam, NL. January 5-12, 2013.
- Hotel Elefant – Concert II of Season I, Remembrance. Rescheduled from 2012 due to weather. The DiMenna Center for Classical Music, New York, NY. January 12, 2013 8:00 p.m..
- Jamie Jordan – Angels in America by Peter Eötvös. Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA. January 15, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
- Nat Evans – Narrow Aisle to the Deep North World Premiere. The Wulf, Los Angeles, CA. January 16, 2013 8:00 p.m..
- Evan Smith – Table and Chairs’s Cry Roar Festival. Cafe Racer, Seattle, WA. January 18-20, 2013.
- Nat Evans – Narrow Aisle to the Deep North World Premiere. UCSD San Diego, CA. January 19, 2013.
- Marc Yeats – Quarter-Sounds World Premiere. European Clarinet Association, Gent, Belgium. January 20, 2013.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – Two Monologues. The Red Hedgehog, London UK. January 26, 2013, 7:00 p.m..
- Nat Evans/John Teske – Sound Installation at ONN/OF Festival. The Sweater Factory, Seattle, WA. January 26-27, 2013.
- Lauren Husting – BrassChix Annual Forum. University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN. January 27, 2013.
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – Dal Niente presents Voices. Music Institute of Chicago, Evanston, IL. January 31, 2013.
- Seattle Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra – Chamber Music. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. February 2, 2013, 2:00 p.m..
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – I Vapor Breath CD release party. The Mastercroft Building, Omaha, NE. February 6, 2013, 7:00 p.m..
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Delirious Serialists!. Poncho Hall, Seattle, WA. February 8, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Leah Maria Villareal – Hotel Elefant: Experiments in Opera. Issue Project Room, Brooklyn, NY. February 9, 2013
- Kate Maroney – Liebeslieder Waltzer. Sprague Hall, New Haven, CT. February 9, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Derlious Serialists: Music by Maderna, Nono, and Boulez. Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, WA. February 9, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – Deer Hoof and Dal Niente at the Ecstatic Music Festival. Merkin Concert Hall, New York, NY. February 20, 2012, 7:30 p.m..
- Leah Kardos – New work premiered by Kelly Lovelady and Ruthless Jabiru. London, UK. March 2013.
- Nat Evans/Evan Smith – Solo Recital and Two Old Ghosts World Premiere. Aasen-Hull Hall, Eugene, OR. March 2, 2013.
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Guest Artist at Cadre’s Annual Concert. Columbia College, Chicago, IL. March 8, 2013.
- People Inside Electronics – Electric Virtuosity. Monk Space, Los Angeles, CA. March 9, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman/Kate Maroney – Einstein on the Beach. Hong Kong Cultural Center, Hong Kong. March 8-10, 2013.
- Parnassus Project – Music at Covington Library. Covington Library Covington, WA. March 24, 2013, 2:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman – Violations by Hannah Lash. Yale University, New Haven, CT. March 28, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Byron Au Young – Stuck Elevator World Premiere. American Conservatory Theater, San Francisco, CA. April 4-18, 2013.
- Evan Smith – The Box Is Empty Solo Recital. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. April 12, 2013, 7:30 p.m..
- Amy Beth Kirsten – The Gift World Premiere. Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Pittsburgh, PA. April 16, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Kate Maroney – St. John Passion. Concordia College, NY. April 21, 2013, 4:00 p.m..
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Workshop with Dal Niente and Robert Honstein. High Concept Labs, Chicago, IL. May 10-11, 2013.
- Kate Maroney – Quagmires and the Known Knowns World Premiere. Galapagos Art Space, Brooklyn, NY. May 21, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – Dal Niente presents Jesse Langen, guitar. Unfamiliar Music Series, Chicago, IL. May 22, 2013.
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Music in Space. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. June 1, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Parnassus Project – Music at Everett Public Library. Everett Public Library, Everett, WA. June 2, 2013, 2:00 p.m..
- Marc Yeats – Pathos World Premiere. Lumin, London, UK. June 8, 2013.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – Kiss to the Earth World Premiere. Missouri Chamber Music Festival, St. Louis, MO. June 17, 2013.
- Kate Maroney – All Night Vigil. New Haven Festival Arts and Ideas, New Haven CT. June 21, 2013.
- Byron Au Young – Party Pieces with Cage 100. Leipzig and New York. July 2013.
- Ryan Keebaugh – Frequency: New Music in the Valley. Shenandoah Valley, VA. Summer 2013.
- John Teske – Broken Bow Ensemble. Rainer Valley Cultural Center, Seattle, WA. September 21, 2013.
- John Teske – Broken Bow Ensemble. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. September 28, 2013.