THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICKS:
Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Fall Tour. Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha. October 21-26, 2012.
* * *
The musically ambitious ladies of Quince take to the road this week for concerts across the midwest. Make no mistake, this is not your average vocal quartet. They specialize in contemporary vocal techniques and continually offer expert performance of some of the most challenging, varied, and fascinating repertoire ever created for the human voice. So, if you live in Bowling Green, Chicago, St. Louis, or Kansas City, DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW! It’s all but guaranteed that their seemingly limitless voices will shock you, impress you, please you, and entertain you – and the group is calling this their most ambitious tour to date.
To give you a taste of their repertoire and talent, have a listen to their performance of Amanda Feery’s Squarepushers.
* * *
* * *
This week TBIE friends Operation ID share a show with Hardcoretet at Seattle’s increasingly popular club, The Royal Room. The show is in celebration of Hardcoretet’s latest record, “Do It Live.” They say on their website,
Hardcoretet’s second album, Do It Live, features five original compositions recorded live with no cuts or edits. Showcasing a mature compositional sense and tight group interplay, Do It Live brings Hardcoretet to the forefront as one of today’s most exciting instrumental bands.
On October 26th, Hardcoretet and Seattle record label Table & Chairs will celebrate the addition of Do It Live into the Table & Chairs catalogue in a bill with the ironclad prog-jazz rig Op ID at The Royal Room.
This is sure to be an exceedingly fun show with some seriously impressive playing, plus you can pick up a copy of the record. Don’t miss it!
* * *
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 10/22/2012-10/28/2012 – Seattle
- Inverse Opera – W(h)ines and Spirits. Trumpeter Public House, Mount Vernon, WA. October 23, 2012, 7:00 p.m..
- Parnassus Project – Myths and Masks. Seattle Central Library, Seattle, WA. October 25, 2012, 6:30 p.m..
- Nat Evans – 17th Century Mushroom and Leaf, world premiere. Brechemin Recital Hall, Seattle, WA. October 26, 2012, 7:30 p.m..
- Table and Chairs – Operation ID and Hardcoretet. The Royal Room, Seattle, WA. October 26, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
- Maria Mannisto – The Tudor Choir: Spem in alium/CD Release Concert. Blessed Sacrement Church, Seattle, WA. October 27, 7:30 p.m..
- Seattle Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra – Season premiere. Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center, Seattle, WA. October 27, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 10/22/2012-10/28/2012 – Elsewhere
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Fall Tour. Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha. October 21-26, 2012.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – Sibelius Dreams (Concert Prelude). New Haven Symphony, New Haven, CT. October 25, 2012, 6:30-7:00.
- Scott Gendel – with Jamie-Rose Guarrine in recital. University of Wisconsin School of Music, Madison, WI. October 26, 2012, 7:30 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman and Kate Maroney – Einstein on the Beech. University of California, Berkeley, CA. October 26-28, 2012.
- Jamie Jordan – Electroacoustic music with David Friend. SPECTRUM, New York, NY. October 27, 2012, 7:00 p.m.
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – I Vapor Breath, Solo album release. October 2012.
- Marc Yates – Schlick’s Approximation with interobang. November/December 2012.
- Hotel Elefant – Dia de los Muertos. DiMenna Center for Classical Music, New York, NY. November 1, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
- John Teske/Ivan Arteaga/Brad Hawkins – Musician-Cyclist Show. Hub and Bespoke, Seattle, WA. November 2, 2012, 6:00 p.m..
- whateverandeveramen. – Sprout 8 Fundraiser. All Pilgrims Christian Church, Seattle, WA. November 3. 2012, 6:00 p.m..
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – John Cage Festival. The Chapel, Seattle. November 9, 2012, 7:00 p.m..
- Fisher Ensemble – Magda G.. Inglewood Open Studios, Los Angeles, CA. November 10-11, 6:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman – Premiere of a new works by Sarah Gibson and Amy Beth Kirsten. USC, Los Angeles, CA. November 16-18, 2012.
- John Teske – New Works for Choir. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. November 17, 2012.
- Jerry Hui – Eliza’s toyes. The Chazen Art Museum, Madison, WI. November 25, 2012, 12:30 p.m..
- Kate Maroney – Soloist with the Monmouth Civic Chorus and Orchestra – Handel: Messiah, Vivaldi: Gloria. Count Basie Theater, Red Bank, NJ. December 2, 2012, 4:00 p.m..
- Maria Mannisto – Handel’s Messiah with Tacoma Symphony. St. Charles Borromeo Church, Tacoma, WA. December 14, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett/ensemble dal niente – Hard Music Hard Liquor. Mayne Stage, Chicago, IL. December 14, 2012.
- Leah Maria Villareal – Hotel Elefant: Experiments in Opera. Issue Project Room, Brooklyn, NY. February 9, 2013
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Derlious Serialists: Music by Maderna, Nono, and Boulez. Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, WA. February 9, 2013, 8:00 p.m.
- Leah Kardos – New work premiered by Kelly Lovelady and Ruthless Jabiru. London, UK. March 2013.
- Lindsay Kesselman – Violations by Hannah Lash. Yale University, New Haven, CT. March 28, 2013, 8:00 p.m..
- Ryan Keebaugh – Frequency: New Music in the Valley. Shenandoah Valley, VA. Summer 2013.