THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICK:
We don’t often have the chance to blog about a dance performance, but this one is special. Our friends at the Seattle Modern Orchestra are collaborating with modern dance giants the Paul Taylor Dance Company for their upcoming performance at Meany Hall in Seattle. And, as if that weren’t enough, they’ll be playing Pärt’s Fratres–as well as three of his under-heard works–as part of the West Coast premiere of the Company’s new piece, The Uncommitted.
Meany Hall’s UW World Series website says…
The last living member of the pantheon that created America’s indigenous art of modern dance, Paul Taylor continues to win acclaim for the vibrancy, relevance and power of his recent dances as well as his classics. As prolific as always, he observes life’s complexities and tackles society’s thorniest issues. He has also made some of the most romantic, athletic, and humorous dances ever put on a stage. The program will include Kith and Kin, Brandenburgs, and the West Coast premiere of Taylor’s newest piece, The Uncommitted (2011), with music by composer Arvo Pärt performed by the Seattle Modern Orchestra.
This is sure to be a dance even that you won’t want to miss, and you’re lucky: Paul Taylor Dance Company and Seattle Modern Orchestra will give three performances, so make sure you go! If you’d like to read a little more about the piece, try this review from the New York Times by Gia Kourlas, plus watch the video below. It seems to be an absolutely beautiful piece, don’t miss out!
* * *
- Amanda DeBoer Bartlett – I Vapor Breath, Solo album release. October 2012.
- John Teske – Composer Spotlight. Jack Straw Productions, Seattle, WA. October 10, 2012.
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Bowling Green New Music Festival. Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH. October 17-20, 2012.
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Fall Tour. Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha. October 21-26, 2012.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – Sibelius Dreams (Concert Prelude). New Haven Symphony, New Haven, CT. October 25, 2012, 6:30-7:00.
- Scott Gendel – with Jamie-Rose Guarrine in recital. University of Wisconsin School of Music, Madison, WI. October 25, 2012, 7:30 p.m..
- Hotel Elephant – Dia de los Muertos. DiMenna Center for Classical Music, New York, NY. November 1, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – John Cage Festival. The Chapel, Seattle. November 9, 2012, 7:00 p.m..
- Lindsay Kesselman – Premiere of a new works by Sarah Gibson and Amy Beth Kirsten. USC, Los Angeles, CA. November 16-18, 2012.
- John Teske – New Works for Choir. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. November 17, 2012.
- Jerry Hui – Eliza’s toyes. The Chazen Art Museum, Madison, WI. November 25, 2012, 12:30 p.m..
- Ryan Keebaugh – Frequency: New Music in the Valley. Shenandoah Valley, VA. Summer 2013.