THE BOX IS EMTPY’S TOP PICKS:
* * *
This week you have the chance to Parnassus Project’s chamber music twice in beautiful Bellingham. Take the leisurely drive up from Seattle, hit up the farmer’s market, and listen to this talented ensemble. Their “chamber music in cafes” mission offers a comfortable setting in which to hear some incredible music. They have played Debussy, Rachmaninov, Brahms, and plenty of new music. Go hear them expecting surprises and truly inspired playing.
Musicians include Brooks Tran, Andrew Chen, and Joseph Doughtery, piano; Sol Im and Mitchel Drury, violins; Clifton Antoine, viola; Maggie Stapleton, flute; Timothy Mar, cello; and Ruth Mar, harp, and more! If you’re interested in supporting Parnassus Project you can do so throughFractured Atlas.
* * *
* * *
Based in Madison, WI, Jerry (Chiwei) Hui has written a wide variety of music that ranges from large-scale orchestral music to light-hearted choral text settings. His music has been performed in festivals such as the Music Today Festival in Eugene, Oregon Bach Festival Composers Symposium, and Society of Composers conferences (regional and national). His choral piece Of Water & Love was awarded the 2008 Robert Helps Prize. His orchestral compositions have won the University of Wisconsin-Madison Concerto Competition twice. Erythros: Four Variations in Red, his first half-evening multimedia work, was premiered in March 2007 at the University of Oregon, funded partially by the University of Oregon Graduate Research Award.
More info coming soon!
* * *
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 7/30/12-8/5/12 – Seattle:
- Parnassus Project – Music at The Woods – Flatiron. Bellingham, WA. August 3, 2012, 7:30-9:30 p.m. and Bellingham Farmer’s Market August 4, 2012, 1:30-2:30 p.m..
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 7/30/12-8/5/12 – Elsewhere:
- Jerry Hui – World premiere of Three Poems by Lorine Niedecker. Isthmus Vocal Ensemble, Madison, WI. August 3, 2012 7:30 p.m. and August 5, 2012, 3:30 p.m..
- Nat Evans – Blue Hour. Mt. Tabor Park, Portland, OR. August 4, 2012.
- Color Field Ensemble – Amanda DeBoer Bartlet/Nat Evans/The Concert Black/Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – The 3rd Annual Color Field Festival for Contemporary Music. The Bartell Theater and other locations, Madison, WI. August 10-11, 2012.
- Table and Chairs – Operation ID. On tour in Oregon and Washington. August 10-15, 2012.
- Parnassus Project – Music at Kirkland Summerfest. Downtown Kirkland, WA. August 10, 2012, 6:00-7:00 p.m..
- Neal Meyer – Writing for the Second Time through Finnegan’s Wake by John Cage. The Chapel Performance Space, Seattle, WA. August 11, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
- John Teske – House show, Seattle, WA. August 11, 2012. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for directions and details
- The Concert Black – The Berkshire Fringe Festival. Bard College, Great Barrington, MA. August 13, 2012, 7:00 p.m..
- Ryan Keebaugh – Premiere of Suffering Servant. Bridgewater College Alumni Choir, Bridgewater Church of the Brethren, Bridgewater, VA. August 19, 2012, 3:00 p.m..
- The Concert Black – Spectrum, New York, NY. August 31, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
- Table and Chairs – Operation ID. Seattle Center, Seattle, WA. September 8, 2012, 12:00 p.m..
- Nat Evans – Blue Hour. Big Car, Indianapolis, IN. September 15, 2012.
- Lindsay Kesselman/Kate Moroney – Einstein on the Beach. Opera House, Brooklyn, NY. September 10-24, 2012.
- John Teske – Broken Bow Ensemble performs new works for chamber orchestra. The Chapel Performance Space, Seattle, WA. September 29, 2012. 8:00 p.m..
- Quince Contemporary Vocal Ensemble – Bowling Green New Music Festival. Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH. October 17-20, 2012.
- Lindsay Kesselman – Premiere of a new works by Sarah Gibson and Amy Beth Kirsten. USC, Los Angeles, CA. November 16-18, 2012.
- Ryan Keebaugh – Frequency: New Music in the Valley. Shenandoah Valley, VA. Summer 2013.