THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICK:
Seattle Modern Orchestra – Music On Paintings. The Chapel at the Good Shepherd Center, Seattle, WA. May 19, 8:00 p.m.
L’Asie d’aprés Tiepolo – Hugues Dufourt
Rothko Chapel – Morton Feldman
For its season finale, Seattle Modern Orchestra will present two pieces where the ideas and emotions unique to the visual arts are transformed into music. Themed Music on Paintings, this concert features two works of contemporary music for ensemble inspired by strikingly divergent paintings. To start the program, French composer Hugues Dufourt’s L’Asie d’aprés Tiepolo (2009) reflects on Italian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo’s Allegory of the Planets and Continents (1752), while the second half features the celebrated Rothko Chapel (1971) by American composer Morton Feldman.
* * *
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 5/14/12-5/20/12 – Seattle
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Music On Paintings. The Chapel at the Good Shepherd Center, Seattle, WA. May 19, 8:00 p.m.
- Table and Chairs – Heatwarmer. Hollow Earth Radio, Seattle, WA. May 18, 2012, 8:00 p.m.
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 5/14/12-5/20/12 – Elsewhere
- Lauren Husting – Festival Brass. Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, MN. May 20, 2012, 4:00.
- Kate Maroney – Music of Lisa Bielawa. The Stone, New York, NY. May 24, 2012, 8:00.
- Seattle Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra – Music of Mozart, Haydn, Bach, and Mahler. Nordstrom Recital Hall, Seattle, WA. May 25, 2012, 8:00.
- Parnassus Project – Music at The Pink Door. The Pink Door, Seattle, WA. May 25, 2012, 9:00 p.m.
- Vespertine Opera – La voix humaine. Stone Soup Theater, Seattle, WA. May 25, 2012, 8:00 p.m. and May 27,2012, 4:00 p.m..
- Nat Evans – Cutting Word (World Premier). Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA. May 29, 2012.
- Lindsay Kesselman – Premiers by Nathaniel Eschler and Steve Roens. Congregational Church of Weston, Weston, MA. May 30, 2012.
- Lauren Husting – KnoX Brass WorX. International Women’s Brass Conference, Kalamazoo, MI. June 10, 2012.
- The Box Is Empty – Music by Van Der Aa, Gordon, Gendel, Evans, and Kirsten. Century Ballroom, Seattle, WA. June 29, 2012, 8:00 p.m.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – L’ange Pâle with the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble. City Theater, Pittsburgh, PA. July 13-14, 8:00 p.m.