THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICK:
IMP Fest IV. Hughes Penthouse Theatre and Cafe Racer, Seattle, WA. May 10-11, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
This past Friday, the first IMPfest show of the season attracted groups passing by the theater, drawn by the thumping bass of Aaron Otheim’s keyboards and the wailing saxophone trio of George Garzone, Brian van Pelt, and Eric Vanderbilt-Matthews. The usual crowd of students, parents, professors, teachers, and friends filed in one by one as well, nearly filling the Hughes Penthouse Theater. And as soon as Bad Luck started up, everyone held their breath. Once it was over, Bad Luck’s new EP was selling like hotcakes.
Next up is Ralph Alessi with University of Washington jazz students. With such a varied background in music — having studied classical trumpet as well as jazz bass — Ralph Alessi is an inspiring musician to say the least. It would be regrettable to miss a performance by this master.
Another group not to miss that night is Smallface, a piano and cello duo, consisting of local musical heavyweights Aaron Otheim and David Balatero. Listen to some of their performance from last year’s IMPfest here.
Also performing will be The Sequoia Ensemble, a group originally created to play for last year’s IMPfest. With new music and fresh faces, it is bound to be a beautiful performance. To get an idea of what they sound like, listen to their performance from last year.
* * *
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 5/7/12-5/13/12 – Seattle
- Table and Chairs – IMP Fest IV. Hughes Penthouse Theatre, Seattle, WA. May 10-11, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- Inverse Opera – Local Composers. Second Story Rep, Redmond, WA. May 11-12, 2012, 9:00 p.m.
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 5/7/12-5/13/12 – Elsewhere
- Scott Gendel – Metamorphosis. eGARAGE, Long Island City, NY. May 11, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- Lindsay Kesselman /Kate Moroney – Einstein On The Beach. Barbican, London, England. May 4-13, 2012.
- Table and Chairs – Heatwarmer. Hollow Earth Radio, Seattle, WA. May 10-11, 2012, 8:00 p.m.
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Music On Paintings. The Chapel at the Good Shepherd Center, Seattle, WA. May 19, 8:00 p.m.
- Lauren Husting – Festival Brass. Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, MN. May 20, 2012, 4:00.
- Kate Maroney – Music of Lisa Bielawa. The Stone, New York, NY. May 24, 2012, 8:00.
- Seattle Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra – Music of Mozart, Haydn, Bach, and Mahler. Nordstrom Recital Hall, Seattle, WA. May 25, 2012, 8:00.
- Parnassus Project – Music at The Pink Door. The Pink Door, Seattle, WA. May 25, 2012, 9:00 p.m.
- Nat Evans – Cutting Wood (World Premier). Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA. May 29, 2012.
- Lindsay Kesselman – Premiers by Nathaniel Eschler and Steve Roens. Congregational Church of Weston, Weston, MA. May 30, 2012.
- The Box Is Empty – Music by Van Der Aa, Gordon, Gendel, Evans, and Kirsten. Century Ballroom, Seattle, WA. June 29, 2012, 8:00 p.m.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – L’ange Pâle with the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble. City Theater, Pittsburgh, PA. July 13-14, 8:00 p.m.