THE BOX IS EMPTY’S TOP PICKS:
Nat Evans – thingNY’s Seven Immediacies Series/Sunrise + Music/Blue Hour. Vaudeville Park/Fort Greene Park/Brooklyn Bridge Park, NYC. April 24-28, 2012
Hear Nat Evans music all week in NYC. Check out Blue Hour, Sunrise + Music, and Still Life.
Seattle Composer Nat Evans writes concert music for various mixed chamber ensembles, distinctive electro-acoustic music, and site-specific music events that fuse nature, community and subjectivity of experience. His music is regularly performed across the United States and has also been performed in Europe, South America, Australia and China. Evans has received numerous commissions including the Seattle Percussion Collective, the Harrison Center for the Arts, ODEONQUARTET, Seattle Pacific University Men’s Choir and Percussion Ensemble, Beta Test Ensemble, The Northwest School Chamber Orchestra, among others. His music has been featured on a number of radio stations in the United States, as well as BBC3, and in the 2011 Music Issue of The Believer. He studied music at Butler University with Michael Schelle and Frank Felice.
In September 2010 a new site-specific electro-acoustic work that combines nature, community and music – Sunrise, September 18th, 2010– was presented in Seattle as well as in Louisville. Participants downloaded the score to a portable listening device, then joined groups in their respective geographic locales to observe sunrise together as they listened to the music. This was the first in a series of site and time specific works presented in this manner. In 2011 Evans presented his Sunset + Music tour across the United States using the same method as sunrise event, with this one taking place at Sunset. The events were covered extensively in the press, and Evans was invited to give lectures on the topic, as well as present it at New York’s Bring To Light Festival. Currently he is working on the third in this series entitled Blue Houras a commission for the Private Works series at The Hartt School.
Scott Gendel – Metamorphosis. The Tank Space for Performing andVisual Arts, New York, NY. April 27 and 29, 2012 9:30 p.m.
Singer/actor Daniel Neer and harpist Alyssa Reit will premiere “Metamorphosis,” on an original text by Daniel Neer, as part of a new multimedia recital. Narkissos, (Greek: Νάρκισσος, or Narcissus), is a unique theatre piece that combines art song, spoken word, and inventive staging to explore the multi-layered themes of narcissism and self-entitlement in contemporary America. Conceived by interdisciplinary artist Daniel Neer, this 90-minute staged recital for voice and harp investigates the mythological figures of Narcissus, Echo, and Nemesis and explores insightful modern-day interpretations to these fabled archetypes. Through original art song (tenor voice and harp) and narration, Narkissos seeks to compare and contrast facets of narcissism with specific focus on the individuals struggle for identity and success in today’s culture. Directed by Ted Gorodetzky.
Narkissos features seven world premiere compositions by Chandler Carter, Martha Sullivan, Robinson McClellan, Jonathan David, Lauren Bernofsky, and Scott Gendel, with with additional music by Eleonor Sandresky, Jason Robert Taylor and Susan Botti.
* * *
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 4/23/12-4/29/12 – Seattle
- Inverse Opera – Bel Canto. In the Red Wine Bar and Café, Seattle, WA. April 23, 2012, 7:30.
- Table And Chairs – Operation ID & Wand. The Piano Fort, Portland OR. April 28, 2012, 8:00 p.m..
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 4/23/12-4/29/12 – Elsewhere
- Nat Evans – thingNY’s Seven Immediacies Series. Vaudeville Park, Brooklyn, NY. April 24, 2012
- Scott Gendel – Metamorphosis. The Tank Space for Performing andVisual Arts, New York, NY. April 27 and 29, 2012 9:30 p.m.
- People Inside Electronics – Misfits and Hooligans. Beyond Baroque, Venice, CA. April 28, 2012, 9:00 p.m.
- Lindsay Kesselman /Kate Moroney – Einstein On The Beach. Barbican, London, England. May 4-13, 2012.
- Jeremiah Cawley/Nat Evans – Still Life. The Chapel, Seattle, WA. May 5, 2012, 8:00 p.m.
- Parnassus Project – Cafe Music. Kirkland Women’s Club, Kirkland, WA. May 5, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
- Table and Chairs – King Tears Bat Trip King Tears Bat Trip. The Black Lodge Seattle, WA. May 5, 2012, 7:00 p.m.
- Maria Mannisto – Solo Recital. Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, WA. May 6, 2012 4:00 p.m.
- Scott Gendel – Metamorphosis. eGARAGE, Long Island City, NY. May 11, 2012 7:30 p.m.
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Music On Paintings. The Chapel at the Good Shepherd Center, Seattle, WA. May 19, 8:00 p.m.
- Lauren Husting – Festival Brass. Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, MN. May 20, 2012, 4:00.
- Kate Maroney – Music of Lisa Bielawa. The Stone, New York, NY. May 24, 2012, 8:00.
- Lindsay Kesselman – Premiers by Nathaniel Eschler and Steve Roens. Congregational Church of Weston, Weston, MA. May 30, 2012.
- The Box Is Empty – Music by Van Der Aa, Gordon, Gendel, Evans, and Kirsten. Velocity Dance Space, Seattle, WA. June 29, 2012, 8:00 p.m.
- Amy Beth Kirsten – L’ange Pâle with the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble. City Theater, Pittsburgh, PA. July 13-14, 8:00 p.m.