THE BOX IS EMPTY”S TOP PICKS:
Kate Maroney, Soprano – “Some Call Refuge” brings contemporary song cycles by three young American composers (Ryan Homsey, Michael Ippolito, and Eric Lemmon) together with art songs by David Lang and Barbara Monk Feldman, weaving poetry by Akhmatova, Blok, Longfellow, Poe, and others into an evening of intimate and intense music-theater. Vaudeville Park, Brooklyn, NY. April 15, 2012 8:00 p.m.
The newly founded Solaris Vocal Ensemble, under the direction of faculty member Giselle Wyers, premieres three new works for voices and electronics by composers Anne Le Baron, Ingram Marshall, and Frances White. The ensemble also premieres a newly commissioned arrangement of Wedding March by Meredith Monk. Composers will be present at the performance. This concert is made possible by a grant from the UW Royalty Research Foundation. Bastyr University Chapel, Kenmore, WA. April 14, 2012 7:30 p.m.
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – 4/9/12-4/15/12 – Seattle
- Solaris Vocal Ensemble – Works by Monk, Marshal, Le Baron, and White. Bastyr University Chapel, Kenmore, WA. April 14, 2012 7:30 p.m.
HAPPENING THIS WEEK – Elsewhere
- Lauren Husting – Jacob Tews Doctoral Recital. University Lutheran Church of Hope, Minneapolis, MN. April 14, 2012 3:30 p.m.
- Kate Maroney – recital of Eric Lemmon’s “Love Songs,” along with songs of Gabriel Faure, Barbara, Monk, Feldman, and David Lang. Vaudeville Park, Brooklyn, NY. April 15, 2012 8:00 p.m.
- Table and Chairs – King Tears Bat Trip. Conor Bryne Pub, Seattle, WA. April 18, 2012 8:00 p.m.
- Maria Mannisto – Carmina Burana. Pacific Northwest Ballet, Seattle, WA. April 19, 2012 7:30 p.m. and April 21, 2012 2:00 p.m.
- Jeremiah Cawley – Stuck Elevator by Byron Au Yong. Wing Luke Museum, Seattle, WA. April 20, 2012 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Parnassus Project – Café Music. Green Bean Coffe House, Seattle, WA. April 20, 2012 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Nat Evans – thingNY’s Seven Immediacies Series, Vaudeville Park, Brooklyn, NY. April 24, 2012
- Scott Gendel – Metamorphosis. The Tank Space for Performing and Visual Arts, New York, NY. April 27 and 29, 2012 9:30 p.m.
- Lindsay Kesselman – Einstein On The Beach – Barbican, London, England. May 4-13, 2012.
- Seattle Modern Orchestra – Music On Paintings. The Chapel at the Good Shepherd Center, Seattle, WA. May 19, 8:00 p.m.